Best of r/Onyx_Boox

Hi, I’m your friendly Reddit Bot! I’ll be posting in this thread daily, sharing the hottest content from Reddit’s r/Onyx_Boox community. Only the best, freshest, and top voted posts make it to this list.

I hope you like the posts I’ve picked out for you. Please do reply if you see something especially interesting - we’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Note Air Lags on handwriting apps - by dori123 with 1 comments

Just got my Note Air and downloaded some of the go-to notetaking apps (Bamboo Paper, Squid, Inkredible, OneNote, Evernote). All are really unusable due to the latency of the pen. In other words, I write something and two beats later, it appears. The native Notes app is great, but lacks templates.

Did I get a lemon, or do your handwritten notes take a sec to appear on the non-native app? This might be a deal-killer for me.

Also, where do you get some basic Notes templates?

TIA

Good matte screen protector for Nova 2? - by tomkatt with 0 comments

Anyone know a good matte protector for Nova 2? I don’t care too much about the writing experience, but I’m hoping there’s a screen protector that’s good for cutting down glare on the display. By default it’s got a bit more glare than my old Kindle and the protector included was glossy/reflective looking.

Poke 3 - Animation filter doesn’t work - by ryologic with 0 comments

Using Scridb, animation filter doesn’t seem to change how the page turns are refreshed no matter what I set it to.

It always shows a choppy ‘slide’ animation.

Anyone else run into this or have a fix?

Anyone know of good cases, especially a hard case, for the Boox Note Air? - by Darth-Newbi with 0 comments

Is anywhere a tear-down video of Boox Note Air - by Ael_the_EE with 0 comments

Is anywhere a tear-down video of Boox Note Air?

I would like to know how hard is it to disassembly device without breaking it, to change battery in the feature

Looking for opinions on Nova 3 vs Note Air or 8 vs 10" - by justsosimple with 0 comments

Hey all, I’m really interested in picking up a new Eink tablet and I’m very drawn to Onyx devices, specifically the Nova 3 and the Note Air. I’m happy that the functionality of the two is essentially identical, but I’m looking for some perspectives on the form factors. My primary use cases are:

• Taking notes during meetings. A standard Moleskine notebook page is generally fine for a short meeting, but will longer sessions be a pain on the smaller Nova screen? I’m very keen on using the note searching capabilities of Onyx devices to make a template with pre-set spaces for tags and todos so I could see that reducing my effective space. I’m working from home for the forseeable future, but is being able to slip the Nova in to a large coat pocket and whip it out anytime viable/a big benefit when I need to travel again?
  • Planning presentations. Point to Note air here, any additional considerations?
  • Annotating documents. I will be making notes on PDF marketing collateral, screencaps of webapps and Miro Boards (I understand pen input on Miro will be unusable, but is writing-to-text in the keyboard still functional?)
  • Reading. I used to read on a kindle religiously and went through several, but stopped after I broke the last one. Since then (years) I’ve been using my phone to browse reddit and occasionally read a book before bed. Is the Note Air noticeably too big to use as an ereader when laying down, reclined or generally being a slug? I anticipate the Nova being a far superior ereader for this reason, but I’m curious if the size on the Note makes reddit more enjoyable.

I’m basically curious to hear from people who have used both form factors which gives the best balance of handleability vs functionality. I’m certain the Air would be superior from a functionality standpoint given the extra space, but is it too limited by size and weight to be as effective as the Nova between each use case? I think my ultimate solution would be to eventually get both! But in the meantime, advice on which to pick up first is much appreciated! Sorry for the ramble and thanks very much.

Embedded PDF Error - by r2-alu with 0 comments

I have a Note Air, when I markup a pdf with scribble notes and embed them into the pdf, I receive an error that the pdf file cannot open when transferring it to a computer (I tried opening it with acrobat and browser pdf viewers).

Can anyone help me with this or is receiving the same issue?

Being able to write in the margins of my pdf and have it combined into one file would work very well for my use case.

Installing third-party dictionaries on Note Air - by Michawoju with 0 comments

I tried installing a more substantive dictionary as per these instructions:

Reddit - Onyx_Boox - Guide to add dictionaries to Onyx Boox Nova 2 / Note 2 / Pro. https://www.reddit.com/r/Onyx_Boox/comments/gqhace/guide_to_add_dictionaries_to_onyx_boox_nova_2/

Unfortunately, while I can chose the downloaded (and transfered via a USB stick to the dict-Folder) as a prefered dictionary, it has no content. I tried 3 different dictionaries so far. Did anyone experience the same issue and maybe came up with a solution? Thanks in advance.

Longevity/Reliability of Onyx Boox devices - by hiraeth768 with 0 comments

Hi all, I’m really wanting to invest in a Onyx Boox device, but am worried that the device would die on me prematurely. I heard that kindle devices can last for years and years. Last thing I want is to spend $300 on something that will die on me in a year. Any current Boox device owner that could vouch for the reliability of Onyx Boox devices?

Read the world: Where are you using boox? - by OnyxBoox with 0 comments

Ever think about when the moment you jotted down something on your Boox ereader, there could be another bookworm who lives across the world taps on boox screen to flip the page?

Snap a photo of your boox device where you use(stay at home or relax outdoors), showing off your table setup for WFH or warm moments you spend with your family.

<iframe width=“768” height=“576” src=“https://maphub.net/embed/124251?legend=1&panel=1&panel_closed=1” frameborder=“0”></iframe>

How to submit your photo?

Just submit your photo, location & caption to [email protected], You’ll see a confirmation message once your photo has been succesfully pin on the map.

Get excited to see the wonderful area of the world though your picture!

Note:The existed photoes & captains are authorized by boox users in facebook boox fans group & r/onyx_boox community. Please don’t download or use in otherplace for any purpose.

Check Where in the world people are using Boox & Share your photos with Boox Community! - by OnyxBoox with 0 comments

Ever think about when the moment you jotted down something on your Boox ereader, there could be another bookworm who lives across the world taps on boox screen to flip the page?

Snap a photo of your boox device where you use(stay at home or relax outdoors), showing off your table setup for WFH or warm moments you spend with your family.

Click here to check where in the world people are using Boox!

https://maphub.net/BooxCommunity/Boox-Map-Gallery-2021

How to submit your photo?

Just submit your photo, location & caption to [email protected], You’ll see a confirmation message once your photo has been succesfully pin on the map.

Get excited to see the wonderful area of the world though your picture!

Note:The existed photoes & captains are authorized by boox users in facebook boox fans group & r/onyx_boox community. Please don’t download or use in otherplace for any purpose.

Good gadgets to complete my Note Air? - by TheRantingSailor with 0 comments

So, I live in Europe but planning on making a purchase through GoodEReader soon… But because it will have to go through customs anyways, I am thinking to buy more than one item to make it worth it. Here is my question; which of the following do you consider useful / do you think has better alternatives?

- the new Note Air cover (is it really good? I have the first one, and I do like it, but it’s not amazing. I also wonder if the pen holder in the back wouldn’t be botherseome?)

- the USB-C Dock, so I can transfer items without wifi (which could be handy since wifi hardly works at my office)

- the wireless keyboard (how does the Note Air perform with the keyboard? Are there alternatives that are better that I could get from Amazon?)

Note 3 Wifi Issues, Help! - by Sam1129 with 0 comments

I just received a brand new Note 3 and it can’t connect to anything other than the Boox servers.

It can download apps from the Boox store and sign into my Onyx account, but when I try to sign into my Google or Microsoft accounts it says that there is no wifi connection. None of my other devices have problems with wifi.

I’ve tried everything: making sure I’m on my slower network, making sure firmware is up to date, restarted the device, restarted my router, waited an hour then tried it all again. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what’s the fix?

Boox Poke 3 free case doesn’t stay closed? - by xcleru with 0 comments

The free case which came with my Poke 3 was the non-micro tape case, and the Poke 3 fits snugly inside the plastic. The only problem is, the flap has an adhesive that doesn’t stick when closed. Is this part supposed to be magnetic? It actually doesn’t send the device to sleep since it’s basically only a sticker and the flap moves around.

Goggle Fonts - by SpecificAffect8169 with 0 comments

A very good resource for fonts here, should you be the type to tinker with them.

How can I export my handwritten notes from pdfs and epubs to EverNote? - by ranttila with 0 comments

When I read books, I like to underline phrases I want to remember, as well as make lines along the margins for the same reason. I bought a Boox Note2 for just this reason: using the stylus to mark up e-books. I want to export these annotations to EverNote for quick reference if I want to recall the phrases I have marked up. I have downloaded EverNote on my Boox Note2 and have got the books I want to read set up. I have also made annotations on one book just to test to see if I can transfer them over to EverNote. However, I cannot figure out how to do so. Could I get some help? Thanks.

Is it possible to export handwritten notes as text (TXT) on the Onyx Boox Note Air? - by Techbebe28 with 0 comments

I just bought and set up an Onyx Boox Note Air, and I was absolutely loving it for note taking until I discovered a limitation to export handwritten notes as text. I was watching a video on YouTube and the Onyx device that was featured in the video had an option to export as a TXT file. Is there a reason why this feature is not available on the Onyx Boox Note Air? Converting my hand written notes to text and exporting to another app is one of the main reasons that I bought this device. Please let me know if there’s a way that I can get this option on my device.

TL;DR: does the Onyx Boox Note Air have an option to export text as TXT and not just a PDF?

Active Stylus for Poke 3 - by taiwanese_9999 with 0 comments

Recently order poke 3 from official shop, may receive in next week. I knew , there is no note taking layer for this model , those wacom EMR stylus won’t work on this model. I just wanna memo down something like shopping list or to-do list. Not writing long paragraph. and won’t take care too much on latency. Did anyone tried active stylus on this model? Or should I just buy passive stylus ? Personally didn’t have good time with dish type stylus from around 8 years ago,and silicon tip type stylus is not so accurate IMO. I would rather use my finger.

Mind maps with Boox Note Air? - by casettedeck with 0 comments

Is there a drawing application that you use that works fine with Note Air? I’d like to draw workflows or mind maps that I can export preferably in vector format(bitmap works fine). And my drawing skills are bad so I don’t want to do free hand sketches. Have you tested anything from Play Store?